By Eloise Churchman
Starting with Bublé, obvi
As cliché as this phrase is, it’s that time of the year again when many of us indulge in all the festivities, from the controversial sprouts to a decadent calendar and, of course, the music.
Christmas songs are iconic and you can’t tell me otherwise. Whack on a bit of Bublé and everything pretty much falls into place. Whether you like religious songs, modern bops or a bit of every and anything, there’s something for you.
So, if you find yourself craving a really good Christmas playlist, (not that 20+ year-old one your mum has on repeat every year), take a look at these 30 tunes that are essential for the festive season. And yes, there are many-a classic on here, but a sprinkling of modern hits too.
1. Holly Jolly Christmas – Michael Bublé
Mr Claus himself. Does this need any more explanation?
2. All I Want For Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey
Do we have ourselves a Miss Claus?
3. Man with the Bag – Jessie J
I wonder what she means…
4. Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy – Bing Crosby, David Bowie
It’s physically impossible not to sing along with icons!
5. You’re a Mean One, Mr Grinch – Tyler, The Creator
The best Christmas movie in a song? Yes please.
6. Hot Chocolate – Tom Hanks
Sorry, my mistake. This is the best Christmas movie.
7. Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt
The only acceptable version of this song- sorry Bublé.
8. Step Into Christmas – Elton John
Gavin and Stacy Christmas special, anyone? (and while we’re here, what did happen on that fishing trip..)
9. 8 Days of Christmas – Destiny’s Child
Is any event complete without a bit of Bey?
10. Driving Home for Christmas – Chris Rea
My sympathies go out to anyone having to deal with the festive traffic
11. Stop the Cavalry – Jona Lewie
In what other song does a kazoo bring so much joy?
12. Jingle Bell Rock – Bibby Helms
Calling Regina George…
13. Thank God it’s Christmas – Queen
It’s Queen. That’s justification enough.
14. Fairytale of New York – The Pogues
It simply isn’t Christmas before you hear this
15. Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses
An absolute radio staple
16. Santa Tell Me – Ariana Grande
Ariana asking all the important questions as per
17. Sleigh Ride – The Ronettes
Three minutes six seconds of pure festive fever. And yes, those seconds are cherished
18. One More Sleep – Leona Lewis
Bleeding’ lovely (get it?)
19. Christmas Lights – Coldplay
Is there any type of music that Chris Martin can’t pull off??
20. Mistletoe – Justin Bieber
Bringing back the classic Bieber vibes, Christmas edition
21. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing – Frank Sinatra
His voice transforms every tune in the best possible way
22. Feliz Navidad – José Feliciano
23. Deck the Halls – Nat “King” Cole
Even his name sounds festive
24. Joy To the World- Nat “King” Cole
Should we just add the whole of his Christmas album to this list?
25. Snowman – Sia
This belongs straight in a John Lewis ad
26. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday – Wizzard
The ideal way to spend the year (although our bank balance might not agree)
27. Santa Claus is Coming To Town – Jackson 5
The perfect example of a festive R&B
28. Count on Christmas – Bebe Rexha
Bebe brings it every time and we’re here for it
29. Scrooge – The Muppets
I think the muppets should cover every song, tbh
30. Warm This Winter – Gabriella Cilmi
Brb, just crying into my mulled wine
So, get adding to your streaming platform and Christmas will have tunes that everyone will love! (and seriously, if you’re a Polar Express hater, give it one more chance)