Welcome to Rebel; the home of student media at Essex University.
Rebel is the voice of students.
A place for creative expression, that’s free and inclusive to all.
- The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes review.by BradleyClaudiaBy Claudia Bradley “It’s the things we love most that destroy us,” tends to be the quote fans of The Hunger Games think of when recalling President Snow. In the original quartet of films, based on the novels by Suzanne Collins and focusing on the consequences of war, it seems plain he was speaking about Katniss’ love … Read more
- Dream Scenario review – A dive into cinematic surrealism.by Rebel EssexBy Kate May A24’s latest release, Dream Scenario, is an absurdist horror film that is every bit as captivating as it is perplexing. It follows university professor Paul Matthews, played by Nicholas Cage, who inexplicably finds himself appearing in the dreams of family, friends and, most significantly, strangers. Matthews, the epitome of a non-descript, “inadequate loser,” … Read more
- Saltburn review – Power, jealously and youthful rebellion are central in Emerald Fennell’s Promising Young Women follow-up.by DissjamesBy James Diss The Last few weeks has seen an explosion of Saltburn not just onto the big screen but the red carpet. Like her Oscar winning debut “Promising Young Women”, Fennell continues her exploration of the dark underworld and in this case with an upper-class obsessional twist. Saltburn blends, dark academia with a gothic … Read more
- Your 2023 Christmas Watchlistby FroggattRebekahBy Rebekah Froggatt It’s that time of the year again: the mince pies are out, the naughty elves are getting ready to spread some Christmas cheer, and the classic argument of when to put the Christmas tree up is upon us, which by the way, is definitely not November. I often feel as if there is this … Read more
- Ice hockey and Adam Johnson: the latest.by GeorgeCurleyBy George Curley Ice hockey players and fans around the world are paying tribute to the late Adam Johnson, who died after suffering a serious cut to the neck from a skate during a game. The Nottingham Panthers, who were playing the Sheffield Steelers at the time, have labelled a ‘freak accident’ where Johnson, who … Read more
- Dozeby Rebel EssexA cyberpunk short story, by Rio Wulfmare Coffee yawned, then regarded the voice inside her head. For a mental construct, Nikos actually had a half decent taste in tattoos. But bloody hell that droning, iron voice had some nerve, running an abusive occupation of her mind, day and night, as though he never slept. Every word was … Read more
- UK Supreme Court unanimously Rules against Home Secretary’s Rwanda Policyby Rebel EssexIn a landmark decision, the UK Supreme Court unanimously ruled the Home Secretary’s policy of removing asylum seekers to Rwanda as unlawful. The policy of sending UK asylum seekers to Rwanda for claim assessment by Rwandan authorities was deemed problematic. There were substantial grounds to believe that these asylum seekers would face a real risk … Read more
- Five Nights at Freddy’s – Not good, but an enjoyable watch.by Rebel EssexBy Bailey McLaughlin The Five Nights at Freddy’s film focuses on a trouble security guard, Mike, who begins working at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria in attempt to retain custody of his younger sister, Abby. While working the night shift, Mike soon discovers that there are murderous animatronics that stalk the family fun diner. The story line … Read more
- 10 Tips on How to Study Productively (and actually enjoy it!)by FroggattRebekahBy Rebekah Froggatt Without a doubt studying can be a very tiresome and monotonous activity. For some students who are revising for exams or writing long essays, the added stress doesn’t help motivate their minds at all. With apps such as Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat, it’s hard to focus if procrastination is your best friend. … Read more
University of Essex Students’ Union is not responsible for any comments made by 3rd parties and any comment left by a 3rd party does not represent the view of the University of Essex Students’ Union.